Okay, so remember that building we were making for the tailings the other day? That was a really bad idea and didn’t do anything to contain the problem. When I checked the pollution level with my soil sampler we were well on our way to 200%.
So I did what I would normally do and looked it up and did some reading. It’s worth mentioning that tailings in this game have little in common with tailing in the real world. In reality it’s something of a slurry mixture that contains everything that isn’t the metal you were trying to extract. The exact level of danger is highly dependent on the particular ore and it’s refining process. Still, uncontrolled runoff is bad. It’s not uncommon for them to be stored in open air pits.
In Eco, though, the only way to mitigate their “pollution” is to bury them. The deeper the better. So we spend several hours digging this big pit to put them in. In Eco pollution is first applied upward until there are no solid blocks left. If that wasn’t enough to “absorb” it, then it radiates outward from that column. To give you an idea, even with this pit filled in, I’m still measuring over 300% in the dead center. Overall mitigation is good though, the outer edges of the pit are measuring below 100.
Our overall goal so far was to build a blast furnace to try and reduce the amount of tailings produced. It’s been a rather long and rough run, but we’re finally getting there. At the same time as we’re doing all this, I’ve been trying to get a farm up and running and cook food for us to eat. I ran into a problem, however.
It was only today that I realized that the only beets left in the ecosystem are the ones I’m growing. They no longer exist in the wild. I also though crimini mushrooms were extinct, but I managed to find a half dozen or so and get a farming area set up for them as well. They probably don’t exist in the wild any more either.
There are some world generation problems as well. Our world doesn’t spawn any bison, for example. I used server commands to fulfill the requirements for one of the research projects because they don’t exist and never have. As I understand it, this is a known issue with world gen.
We also managed to get this tier 2 workshop up and running as well. We’ll ultimately be building an upper floor to house the rest of the tier 2 equipment. After that we’ll probably be building a reinforced concrete building, which is tier 3, on top of the filled in tailings pit. One thing at a time though, my current objective is to harvest my beets tomorrow so I can finish the dish in my cast iron stove for the “advanced cooking” skill book.
Either way, that’s another day’s problem, so y’all take care. Someone needs to call Captain Planet or something.